R&K Plant Hire
R & K Plant Hire provides civil construction requirements in both contract works, and plant hire arrangements in Far North Queensland.
R & K Plant Hire is a partnership between Kowanyama Indigenous resident David Kitchener, more commonly known as Old Crow, and long-term civil construction and plant hire entrepreneur Bill Robinson.
R & K Plant Hire delivers the following civil components of road construction:
- New Construction
- Road rehabilitation
- Reconstruction and maintenance
- Earthworks and drainage structures
- Concrete components
- Upgrade to sealed roads
R & K Plant Hire delivers contract works and wet plant hire using a fully maintained fleet including but not limited to:
- Grader, with UTS, GPS
- Dozers and Loaders
- Backhoes, Skidsteers and Rollers
- Trucks – Tandem and Semi Water Cart, Tandem Tippers and Semi Side Tippers
- Stabilisers and Spreaders, and
- Pavers and Profilers.
R & K Plant Hire’s vision is to:
- Develop and support Indigenous and Cape York businesses into the contracting sector as a Key Subcontractor,
- Recruit and mentor local and Indigenous personnel into the civil construction workforce,
- Consult with Indigenous Companies to support them with the rigorous systems and records necessary when working for a principal contractor who must meet stringent requirements,
- Commit to ongoing local engagement and,
- Mature as an independent and competent Indigenous business
R & K Plant Hire is a partnership between David Kitchener (Old Crow), and Bill Robinson. In 2013 Old Crow began employment with Robinson Civil Group (RCG) on the Kowanyama Air Strip Upgrade and Town Streets projects for the Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council.
During the life of the relationship to date Bill and Old Crow recognised the need for a competent civil construction contractor local to the Cape York region to deliver works to the standard required of contracts in the current climate.
Old Crow is a mentor to the Indigenous employees and businesses needed to deliver the required products and services. This approach is a key factor in the successful delivery of services to our clients and provides a full-time contact on site to discuss development, progress and provide feedback.
2016 saw the formation of R & K Plant Hire. Since the date of inception, the business has developed strong commercial relationships in the civil construction industry with State and Local government and Private Enterprise.
From the start Robinson Civil Group (RCG) has provided full support to R & K Plant Hire to enter the civil construction industry as an Indigenous business.
Unique business modelling is fundamental to the success of R & K Plant Hire as it pursues success in delivering an Indigenous civil construction business with the capability to rival the existing competitor base.
RCG provides the resources and administration support required for R & K Plant Hire to undertake the scope of works required by the clients.
R & K Plant Hire is currently applying a non-accredited management system. This system can assist in ensuring compliance with;
- Quality, Safety and Environmental Management Systems
- Building and Construction OHS Accreditation Scheme
- Code for the Tendering and Performance of Building Work 2016 (The Building Code)
Old Crow – David Kitchener
R&K Plant Hire
221 Kohmomum Street,
KOWANYAMA QLD 4871
PO Box 271 HERBERTON QLD 4887
Ph: 07 4096 2399
ABN 54 469 844 391